The main purpose for this role is to provide leadership and direction to the LSR Downstream team and to deliver the functional responsibilities relating to Downstream. The position plays an active and key role within the downstream finance community. The LSR Downstream (DS) Operations Manager is responsible for managing the preparation, audit and filing of DS entity financials across different countries.
The LSR DS Operations Manager will be a formal member of the LSR Leadership Team. He or she will also have regular interactions with the VP Finance, Reporting & Performance Management for DS. In addition, the Operations Manager will also have an interface with the Finance Manager/Legal Entity Controller/Director of the Legal Entities
The LSR DS Operations manager represents the team with regard to changes in reporting (IFRS, US GAAP, Local GAAP) requirements and business drivers. He or she should be able to deliver and lead through others to manage the impact of these changes on the Legal Entity Financial Statements.
Active engagement with external auditors, Controllers’ organization and feeder/input processes to resolve process bottlenecks and to achieve top- quartile objectives - 100% on-time audit completions, all statutory filings within regulatory deadlines, eliminate audit overrun costs and promote sustainable working.
1. Managing relationship with External Auditors, ensuring a seamless outcome of audit from FO initiative
2. Driving continuous improvements, reduce complexity and induce standardization, improve interfaces, meeting pre-agreed targets and manage relationships, demonstrate end-to-end improvement perspectives
3. Leads/supports initiatives such as the impact of IFRS Transition on DS, Ways Of Working with R&A and other FO processes
4. Leads and supports mechanism for efficient data collation and accurate reporting of process metrics, business packs, progress updates, FO MI, newsletter, process intranet, and all other related communication. Lead and contribute to initiatives to improve process visibility across finance spectrum
5. Connect with peers, process managers and process owners of other process areas across all SBO’s as required, to drive end-to-end process improvements and LSR process standardization through collaboration and continuous improvements.
6. Lead and contribute to developing world-class people by championing sustainable working, knowledge retention, reward and recognition, high energy work environment and connected finance.
7. Optimize efficiency by managing peak workloads, multiple demands, and competing priorities to ensure deadlines are met while maintaining high quality and integrity of data.
The role requires a strong focus on driving performance. The candidate must have the ability to manage change effectively and be able to deal with the business complexities within a global operating model. People with strong accounting skills, who value teamwork and who are comfortable in dealing with senior stakeholders will thrive in this environment.
1. Lead, support and guide the Team members in the achievement of all functional responsibilities and drive their development within the organization
2. Manage staff performance and development, self and through team managers
3. Actively engage staff in discussions relating to CI, HSSE, Operational Excellence as well as staff welfare
4. Effective networking in the R&A team (and wider) to learn from others and to attract the best talent to the team
5. Coaching and mentoring of the team members to further develop curiosity, communication and content skills to the appropriate professional level to be a valued business partner at all levels
6. Demonstrate and role-model the 5 behavioral imperatives to the staff and lead them to get the same from them and ensure basic behavioral aspects are embedded in the team, such as taking accountability, effective stakeholder engagement, priority setting, commitment management
7. Build a culture and environment that work of the team(s) is reviewed against the highest standards of accuracy and efficiency and maximizes impact
• Financial Statement preparation for c 150 entities across c30 countries.
• 25-30 entities being complex/ high complex entities
• Entities cover both IFRS and other relevant Country GAAP
The team size would be ~ 20-30 staff
LSR is a knowledge-driven process and the role is technically demanding and requires a strong knowledge of Accounting Standards, specific country compliance requirements, country-specific accounting and reporting requirements, controls, relevant business knowledge, as well as encompassing project management and change management skills. Specific skills include:
• DS business knowledge
• Understand Transaction flow from various subsystems to GL
• In-depth knowledge on GAAP, IFRS, and preparation of position papers for submission to Auditors and regulatory authorities
• Senior stakeholder interaction including VP
• Presentation of financials in BOD meeting and managing conversations
• Prior experience in DS manufacturing and marketing (external) business is essential considering the business complexities
• Project management and interventions for all the entities
• Resourcing, mentoring and Coaching
The Operations Manager LSR requires an individual with strong leadership skills coupled with customer focus and organizational skills. This role has broad freedom to respond to services and development requests from business partners and requires strong interpersonal skills with both internal and external parties.
• Knowledge and in-depth understanding and experience of the local statutory reporting process.
• Excellent technical accounting ( proficiency with IFRS is a prerequisite, and knowledge of other GAAP – US GAAP, UK GAAP, NL GAAP would be an advantage), as well as strong financial reporting experience.
• Expertise in managing relationships with multiple stakeholders including external auditors, country tax leads and tax teams, Controllers organization, FiBs, legal, etc.
• Interfacing with senior finance staff at country and regional level
• Should be self-motivated, self-starting able to build and lead a team and manage/integrate with others in different functions and in a multicultural and diverse business environment.
• Demonstrate Enterprise First mindset with relating values and behaviors.
• An individual should be a proactive and creative thinker.
• Highly developed analytical skills with perceptive and ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
• Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in coaching and training. Proven ability to motivate others and develop strong relationships with staff at all levels.
A qualified accountant with 12+ years of post-qualification experience. Strong people management skills. In-depth knowledge of various ERP systems (e.g. SAP) Excellent MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) skills